Steve

So what is happening?

Steve    635
Steve

So what is happening?

Im curious as to what is everyone or anyone thinking about the state of the mapping community.  Usually things slow down during the summer months with people either working hard and away on vacations, that sort of thing.  But Im not sure if this is the only reason.  Things were slow during the late winter and throughout the spring months as well.  Im thinking that several variables are influencing factors in the lack of content, wips, and general chatting about the tools.  The way that Im thinking is that Black Ops 3 and several of the versions prior are geared toward the zombie mindset.  I have seen some really good maps for that style so it tends to make me think that though the tools are fine for the most part there is the slant toward the zombie mapping community.  There seems to be virtually no interest in the old standards of WW2 nor even the modern day conflicts that kept us all working away at new content.  Mods were talked about and they were suppose to happen but they never did.  A few basic mods are available but nothing more than that.  The Steam style workshop thing did more harm that good too.  Lets face it, it sucks and fails horribly as a means of getting your new content because it is not even close to what we could do with dedicated servers.  It has always been a mess because in my opinion there are hundreds of various versions of map releases and many new mappers simply assed around with the supplied teaching maps and called them their own.  There is also the problem with trying to convert or port old maps to the new tools.  That is a fail as so many things have changed within the guts of the new tools that it is usually simplier to just remake the map from scratch because otherwise you end up with error upon error by using old terrain or prefabs that you have built in the past.  That brings us back to the problems mentioned above.  Most just dont want to waste their time completely rebuilding a map from scratch, even though it will look better than ever, if there arent mods to support it or even worse is that no who one will ever play it.

This site and others like it are dying.  Im not going to sugar coat it.  The support here has been terrific and we have a solid base of old school mappers who have given their all just as they have done in the past.  We have lost some to the zombie take over and that is understandable but undeniably this is what is also hurting us so deeply. 

Speaking as the owner and founder of Mappers United I can honestly say that if it wasnt for the very generous financial support to this site I would have closed it down months ago.  I dont mind putting in the hours that it takes to keep the site current and appealing and hopefully of use to some.  What I do question is what of the future.  Will 2017 be the last year?  At this point everything is paid for the next approximately 6 months.  I am closing down the donations options until the end of the years as I and we see what the next few months bring us.  It makes me sick to take money from anyone if there is a chance that this site will only become a footnote in history.  Im not trying to be dramatic or any such thing because Im just trying to be honest with myself and with you.

There is a new WW2 based release coming the next few months.  We are all aware of this.  What we dont know is what is coming with it.  Will Treyarch modify their tools in any manner and will we be able to get access to the new models and assets that we will see in the new game?  Just as important are a couple of other things.  One, will anyone mod this if things look good?  Second, will anyone even give a crap and are we therefore stuck right where we are now?

I am very interested in what you are thinking and I ask that you give your honest replies in this thread.  If you dont say what you are really thinking or feeling then we dont have a chance of getting our message out.  Believe me, nothing good will come from keeping silent.  If you have moved on or given up then say so and tell us why. 

I have closed this site down as far as access goes for visitors but I am going to open this "Editorial" section back up so that visitors can read and even reply to this thread.  I know that some from Treyarch and perhaps other studios drop by once in awhile so maybe they will see this and get a glimmer of what is going on.  Feedback, either positive or negative, is never a bad thing.

Thanks,

Steve

Icey    216
Icey

Can understand the post m8, personally i have a temp loss of motivation to keep mapping for cod 4 and cod 5, im not interested in any modernwarfare stuff liek blackops and the way that was headign with only zombie support has put me off completely, didnt motivate me at all how that went down.

im defo gonna try out BAT1944 and also the tools they provide right from the start ( like it suppose to be) 

As for cod series, imo that went down the moment they decided to keep hammerning down on futuristic warfare instead of making a good ww2 shooter with the new tools.

the moment they go back to their roots with ww2 and the new tools im defo back into it.

As for mappersunited, its the home of whats left of the mapping/modding community imo,  ive seen it grow after i moved with u from rgn to here, what we all put down here is just a awesome place to be with alot of knowledge of the games and its home for mapping.

• Like 2

zeroy    208
zeroy

For my part the WW2 MP mod is still a WIP which I put on hold when CODWW2 was announced - there is a good chance we will have extracting tools for it and so the work needed for player models, weapons, etc.. would be made a lot easier for this mod. Other than this I am mainly on Discord helping out on modtools whether its MP or ZM. I have a few ZM projects on the way too but slow going, I just dont spend the time on the tools at the moment. 

I do intend to do some MP WW2 maps once the mod is finalised of course :)

• Like 2

Steve    635
Steve

I have to say that Im thinking along the same lines as you Yohan.  I am really hoping that we will be able to get stuff from that new game and kickstart the community once again.  Good to hear that the mod is only on hold and not abandoned!!

Thanks Icey, I do believe that our site here is still a good place to call home!!

• Like 1

RaGe    202
RaGe

I stopped all my projects in their tracks for one simple reason. I was re-inventing the wheel. I felt that despite the mod tools and support being terriffic, Treyarch missed the boat. We're modding for a game that's half dead already. I don't feel this is the end of mapping for the COD series'  and I don't think you should close the site. Maybe, cull it back, make it basic, until we know what the future holds. It is MU, and you've gained a repoire with Treyarch and that makes it unique. Maybe ask the employees of Treyarch for some input on what direction you might need to take. More than anyone, they will know where cod mapping is going, or whether we're going to have to train ourselves in other engines like Source 3 (when it's released), the latest Unreal engine, for the sake of PUBG mods and maps.

I actually nearly finished backlot, with complete custom textures, but I saw that it was only going to meet with negative feedback, so I didn't bother finishing it. I didn't see the point. Then there was Crossfire. Again, looked great, and I got very far, but again. I don't see the point. If I'm not going to modify them completely, like Zeroy did with Killhouse, I don't see the point. Futuristic isn't winning anyone any votes, so probably more than anything, new projects will entice a World war 1 and 2 tone, depending on where the mapping\modding support is held by the Activision developers. I've developed more than enough skills in this experience to make a unique map, thanks to Zeroy, Ardivee, Wakka and several others that have been mapping for years. I'm just going to sit on my hands for now and see where this mapping is going before I start\modify anything else.

What you have achieved, Steve, is pulling all the talent together into one place. So well done.

If you need any help, give me a yell, I'm still here.

RaGe\Jon

Edited by RaGe
  • Like 1

labob    26
labob

I've read this thread and now I'm thinking about it.

Steve    635
Steve

Jon, I doubt that I will close the site but for now it is and will remain in a holding configuration.  I may mess with the assets that I have but I wont be looking at growing the site until the future becomes clearer.  There is too much good stuff here to simply throw it all away. 

About 3 months ago I raised the question in the private Alpha team forum about the possibility of getting assets from the Sledgehammer game coming out soon for us to make use of.  To date, I have not gotten a single response.  I have bumped the thread so as to bring it back to the light of day again.  Hopefully Activision can see that nothing but good can come from the sharing of resources from the different games.  A lot of money was spent to update the tools to what we have today so it only makes sense to keep supporting them and get people active once again.

Good to know that you are still around and willing to jump back in!

Also as Icey mentioned above, there are other games from other studios that are coming up.  Im keeping my finger on the pulse of those as well. 

• Like 1

2bd-    10
2bd-

Steve don't close down. I am sure you wont and we wont simple for the reason you mentioned too much good stuff on it !!! 

And don't forget after summer it always picks up a little bit because the rain and cold will drive the people to be creative behind the computer :-)

• Like 4

4t4chris    460
4t4chris

For my part I have some project (mapping) for cod4 and codwaw.

I am always looking for new maps for my website.
I had started on BO3, but the zombie fashion in games, it's not for me (old school).
after the release of the WW2 MP mod, i would get back on bo3

Steve, please, don't close this website !!!

MappersUnited  is just a awesome place to be with alot of knowledge of the games and its home for mapping !!!

Edited by 4t4chris
  • Like 2

Steve    635
Steve

Dont worry guys the site is staying up!!!  Cheers for your comments!!

Like I said above, there are some things that I hope work out after Sledgehammer releases and there are some other interesting games coming out that have tools with them.  Most of this site will remain as is and we may add support for the other tools as well once you see them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cyruz    134
Cyruz

Well i have been bit busy for a while but i think Steve knows my souls/hearts for this site . Dosnt mnatter if we all play yatzy i will still be here :P

Edited by Cyruz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Soldat Ryan    110
Soldat Ryan

I m not a mapper (i m not talented for this) but i like this place and people here !!

IMHO. There is much more hope in new games than in old series.

On 08/09/2017 at 5:58 PM, Steve said:

Dont worry guys the site is staying up!!!  Cheers for your comments!!

Long life to MU !! :)

• Like 3

westyjoe    91
westyjoe

I have learned a lot here and I like making maps for the MP community in BO3, but that community is now really tiny (essentially my clan and a few other people).  I would like to try WaW but the learning curve going backward is huge.  I would love to think that WW2 would give us development tools, but not holding my breath as it's not a Treyarch product .

I have taken a break for the summer since my last map, Castle Black, and may try some more if our clan keeps playing BO3.  I would hate to lose this site, but I can understand if you feel the need to put it to bed.  There just isn't that many good moddable MP games out there anymore and in not too many years, I won't be able to play without getting an adapter for my walker...

Please give us some warning if you do decide to close it down so we can backup the info (or let us know where you archive this)

Edited by westyjoe
  • Like 1

mas36.uk    33
mas36.uk

Please dont close the site Steve. To much good stuff here to loose.

I dont regard my self as a mapper any more Im an ex mapper BOP3 is to futuristic for my tastes. I hate Steam and the lack of dedicated servers.

The ZOMBIE thing killed it for me. I have no intention of mapping for BOP3.

But the MU site is great keep it going.

• Like 1

Steve    635
Steve

Thanks guys for you comments!!  I will keep the site up and will continue to support whatever we can.  Also we are going to look at the other games and associated tools that will ship with them.

Once I am done with work for the year (another month or so) I will have more time to look into options.  My new house is almost done now too so once I move that will give me more time to do things.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Map Hosting by 4T4Chris

QRSB1oT.jpg

For all your Call of Duty

Map Hosting and Download needs!

Click on the link below

Click Here!

Banner / Logo

Feel Free to Use at your site!

Cut and Paste

Click on the link below to download the images together:

Click Here

Native image size is 400x400