Welcome to Mappers United

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

"WHAT NO ONE EVER EXPECTED TO HAPPEN.........IS HAPPENING!!!!
Steve

Cylinder problem

Cylinder problem

I know how to make cylinders but.....

I am making some power lines and I cant seem to get the size of the cylinders down to a small size.  When I select any gridsize it doesnt seem to matter.  What happens is that I can only get a cylinder made at 8x8 and if I try to go smaller the cylinder becomes a square.  I could have some setting wrong but I dont think so.

What is the smallest cylinder that you have made?  I would like no bigger than 2 units by 2.  As you can see in this image from a JBird tut that it can be done.

2x2.JPG

7 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Here's a 1x1 and 2x2. they first appear as squares then I used  " Shift + ] "  to add more vertices.

Learned that trick from  BlackJack's vid on power line under tension. B| Also works on the bevels and end caps to make them have a smoother curve.

Created the 2x2 on Grid 1 and the 1x1 on grid .5

Untitled.thumb.png.bd20229d44c1922918d3079c05457d86.png

Edited by SlickToxic
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1x1 - 8 sided

Spoiler

51Zab5b5f8f64.png

Edited by R00FeR

The smallest that I could make was 8x8

Posted (edited)

I think if you could turn his cylinders on end you would find they are not actually cylinders I did it in 2x2 but if you look at them end on they are not round. I took a screen shot but I don't know how to get it off steam to post it on here. The thing is you would probably not notice they were not round its so small.

Mine are 2x2 by 12 sides.

Edited by mas36.uk

Thanks guys.  I know that true round cylinders cant be made.  I know how to make cylinders (patch-primitive-cylinder).  The issue that Im having is that MY radiant wont take any cylinder down to anything smaller than 8x8 because lower than that I end up with the cylinder turning into a 4 sided square.  That is the problem.  Would a video showing what is happening help to explain it?

Posted (edited)

After adjusting the grid size down to .25, I can make pretty small cylinders.  I usually choose "very dense cylinder" and then after shrinking them they look like a 4 sided square.  I then tap Shift-] a few times and that smooths it out. About the smallest I have gotten to was a 1 x 1. 

Edit - Of course, after I typed this I saw Slick's answer which was exactly the same.  Duh...

Edited by westyjoe
1 person likes this

It is always good to have things confirmed!!  Thanks for your testing too!!!