Welcome to Mappers United

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wolfetplayer

Black Radiant. Global Lighting is coming through the walls.

So I am creating night map. I created a small room. And it seems global (moon/sun) lighting can be seen on edges of the walls. How to fix this?

Screenshots attached.

08.jpg

09.jpg

7 answers to this question

Have you probed that area yet?

The advice given is bad in that video very bad

On 2/18/2017 at 2:12 AM, wakka said:

Have you probed that area yet?

I am having the same problem with a building I am working on. In COD4, I would miter all the corners to a 45 degree angle and that solved the problem but it's not working here. I added a probe based on your comment and built the lighting but it's still doing it.

Posted (edited)

I have had this problem with Backlot. It's so badly created (well done IW), that there's light leaking everywhere. the FOG is what causes it to leak. Don't believe me ? turn it off and re-render. I have discussed this with Zeroy and although it's a pain in the arse, about the only REAL solution to this at the moment is to zone the section with it's own fog which stops at the wall. So a combination of world fog and lit-fog in the map. I haven't bothered yet (thanks shadow caulk), but I know I'll have to fix it before re-release.

Edited by RaGe

Ok, I've tried this so many different ways of zoning fogs,using different fogs, I'm losing patience. The lighting is so f'n broken in these tools it's ridiculous. But please, keep making micro transactions instead. Fk sakes.

/rant

This is more an issue with Radiant than it is an actual problem. Like Wakka mentioned above, you probably need to place a reflection probe in the room to fix this. Here is an example shot I just took of an room without a probe:

unprobed.PNG

Now here it is with a reflection probe added to the same room:

probed.PNG

The bleed is still present in Radiant, but if you compile and run the map, it's more or less fixed in-game:

probed_ingame.PNG

There is still a small spot in the corner that has a tiny bit of light bleed, but I also havent properly cleaned up the geometry or textured/caulked everything that needs to be, which can also contribute to the issue. 

Radiant is a rough estimate of how something will look in game, so you're more than likely going to have lighting issues in the editor, even if you crank the build lighting in Radiant up to high.